Sunday, March 18, 2018

Feeling thankful...

Another week come and gone.  The holes in our walls and ceilings have been repaired and they now await painting.  This process of reclaiming my home is slow-going and at times physically exhausting (my job this week was to get all the plastic taped up and laid over anything I didn't want covered with dust - I was thorough and the job left me feeling muscles I hadn't used in some time). 

But while February held ample opportunity to complain, March is giving me many reminders to cultivate an attitude of thankfulness.  It goes something like this...  We had leaky pipes, I am thankful that we have a home with plumbing.  We had holes in our walls in several rooms, I am thankful that we have walls and multiple rooms to live in.  It was an expense we didn't plan for, I am thankful that we had the money available to make the repairs.   And on it goes like that.   It's an exercise.  A discipline.  Not one I'm consistent at, but it does something good for the soul to remember to be thankful.

Except for having a man here two days repairing drywall it was a quiet week, and I'm thankful for the opportunity I had to crochet. 😊

This week, I'm hosting the weekly CAL in the Our Happy Cal Place on Ravelry, and since the theme is "Gift Ideas", I thought an Easter themed dishcloth would be a fun project.  So I whipped up a Chocolate Bunny Dishcloth:


A little something one could take as a simple hostess gift if visiting someone for Easter dinner.  OR, it would make a fun washcloth to tuck into a child's Easter basket.

~~~~~

And throughout the week, I worked off and on on a little Fairly Isleish Baby Cardigan I started way back in June of last year, and I finished it!  Except for buttons.  I have yet to get the buttons, but this project is finished as far as the crocheting is concerned:


I did not find the pattern difficult, exactly, but it also wasn't completely intuitive for me.  I think I'll have to make another one now that I worked through some confusing parts to see what I truly think of the pattern.  It makes an adorable sweater (suitable for a boy or girl - which isn't common in crochet patterns), so I hope I make another and like it.




And that's all for crochet.  Next week I plan to get back to my Spicier Life Blanket - am actually toying with making two different ones simultaneously, and I have another WIP in the wings I'd love to knock out.  We'll see how that goes.

~~~~~

For St. Patrick's Day I made a loaf of Irish Soda Bread, and it was so yummy to eat.   


I'm eating some pieces of it as I type this, in fact.  It's just as good cooled down as it was warm and slathered in butter.   Mmmmm   I'm thankful for the pleasure of a simple loaf of bread.

And that's it for what I created this week.  To see what other YOPpers are up to, visit our group on Ravelry.




On a different note...  last week my FIL was taken to the hospital where it was discovered he has pneumonia.   He's in rehab now, but is not making significant improvements at this point.  He is 93 and is very frail, very worn out - he was those things before pneumonia took hold.  I'd sure appreciate prayers for him.  Of course, we'd love for him to be able to go back home soon, but given his overall condition I also hope he has peace during this time away from home, and that he is comfortable.

~~~~~

I leave you with a lively rendition of a favorite Irish hymn:

Be Thou My Vision performed by Rend Collective















15 comments:

  1. Prayers for your FIL.

    That dishcloth is adorable. It would make a lovely hostess gift.

    Oooohhhh I forgot all about Irish soda bread. I love it too. I just took a loaf of honey spelt flour bread out of the bread machine. Love the smell of fresh baked bread.

    That baby cardi is priceless. How nice it can be used for either gender too.

    I love the way you counted your blessings. It is a good reminder for me to always look for the silver lining in each trouble. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks exactly like a chocolate bunny! Maybe you need to make another with the ears bitten off? LOL

    Mmmmmm Irish Soda Bread... I feel hungry now!

    We are very fortunate in our every day lives - it's a good exercise to keep that top of mind. Funny, just as we pulled in the driveway my husband said "I'm so lucky. We're so lucky" and then leaned over for a kiss. Yup, lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww That is so sweet! And true. :) Thanks for sharing that, Lynn.

      Delete
  3. I hope your FIL gets well soon. It's so hard when we get older as some tend to outlive their cells. My grandfather is 98 and has dialysis 3x a week; he is a soldier. I ♡✧。 (⋈◍>◡<◍)。✧♡ love this bunny washcloth! It's awesome.
    Since you're an advanced crocheter, can I ask you for some how to tips? I had started the Retro Pin Up Headband by Olivia Kent but am stuck on the knot part. I'm confused with step one and step two. Can you help me when you have time? I emailed her but haven't heard back. I also PM'd two Ravelers who had made it but haven't back from them as well. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your confidence in me, Stefanie. I don't consider myself an advanced crocheter, but I'd be glad to take a look at the pattern and see if I can be of some help. PM me on Ravelry with your question, or if you'd rather e-mail me I can PM my e-mail address to you.

      Delete
  4. I'm with you about gratitude! It's all in how you look at things. Glad you are getting back to normal and I will be praying for your FIL. How is your sister doing...she's on my list too.
    I love the bunny! I want to make those for the grands for Easter....cutest little cloth I've ever seen and I love the brown and blue together.
    The sweater is darling. It looks like a color work creation and so pretty. By the time I want to make a sweater for the grands they would have grown out of it as I am so slow! LOL! I can't wait to see your "spicier" and whatever else you have on your list. I always love your projects and your crocheting is so beautiful. Thank you for the hymn....I loved it and remember it from my childhood...of course....not quite that jazzy in church back in the day! LOL! I love their enthusiasm! The soda bread looks yummy. I didn't get dessert made but maybe today...I'll celebrate all week! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sis appears to be doing well - awaiting surgery the second week in April. I've decided I need to be careful to respect her privacy, especially so early as she needs to tell some people her news herself, so I may not write much until a later date when it/if it feels appropriate. Prayers are greatly appreciated, though, friend. Thank you so much.

      In truth, I prefer more reverent (?) renditions of this particular hymn, but when I came across this one I was so tickled at their enthusiasm - and the fact that they're Irish! I just had to share it.

      Delete
  5. Hi Becki, I hope all goes well for your FIL. Your bunny dishcloth is adorable! I had bookmarked some Easter baskets to crochet for my grandchildren with a very similar patter. And, I love the sweater you made. I hope your week goes well. Pat :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bunny is definitely cute and your sweater turned out perfectly. I've never tried crocheting a sweater in anything other than a baby size. Thoughts are with your father-in-law and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry about your father in law!! I hope he heals soon, he has my thoughts and prayers Becki. xx

    On a good note, your bunny cloth is super! I LOVE it!!! The bread looks fabulous too, and anything slathered in butter is something I want to DEVOUR!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Quite right about the gratified, but it's easy to forget isn't it? Thinking of you and your fil.
    The cardi is adorable and the cloth will make a fabulous gift.

    ReplyDelete